Some people believe that Krishna is the avatar of Vishnu, and some believe that Vishnu is an avatar of Krishna. However, one cannot deny that Krishna is the central figure in the Hindu Bhagavad Gita. Since he is such an important and powerful figure in Hindu dharma, there are many temples built to his name. Here is a list of 10 Krishna Temples in India You Should Visit
On this Article
- 1. Banke Bihari Temple, Vrindavan
- 2. Dwarkadish Temple, Dwaraka
- 3. Krishna Balaram Mandir, Vrindavan
- 4. Jugal Kishore Temple, Mathura
- 5. Guruvayur Temple, Kerala
- 6. Sri Krishna Temple, Udupi
- 7. Govind Dev Ji Temple, Jaipur
- 8. Shrinathji Temple, Nathdwara, Udaipur
- 9. Rajagopalaswamy Temple, Tamil Nadu
- 10. Venugopala Swamy Temple, Karnataka
1. Banke Bihari Temple, Vrindavan
Situated at the holy city of Vrindavan, Banke Bihari temple is dedicated to Lord Krishna and is one of the seven temples of Thakur of Vrindavan. It is considered to be one of the holiest Krishna temples in India too, and it attracts thousands of visitors every year.
2. Dwarkadish Temple, Dwaraka
It is also known as Jagat Mandir and is one of the four main pilgrimages of India. This Krishna temple is also one of the places during the Char Dham Yatra.
3. Krishna Balaram Mandir, Vrindavan
Krishna Balaram was included in ISKCON temples of India and is the first one in the list. Thus, it is also known as ISKCON temple of Vrindavan. (ISKCON stands for International Society for Krishna Consciousness and known as Hare Krishna movement.)
4. Jugal Kishore Temple, Mathura
Also known as Keshi Ghat temple, Jugal Kishore Temple is one of the oldest temple built with Red sandstone. It is one of the famous Krishna temples in India that draws Hindu devotees throughout the year.
5. Guruvayur Temple, Kerala
The temple is known as the “Holy Abode of Vishnu on Earth”, and thus, is one of the most important places of worship for god Krishna in Kerala. It is also known as Dwarka of South India. Only Hindus are allowed in this temple.
6. Sri Krishna Temple, Udupi
It is known as Udupi Sri Krishna Matha and is located in the city of Udupi. The temple is amongst the eight Udupi mathas.
7. Govind Dev Ji Temple, Jaipur
Located in the City Palace complex in Jaipur, the Govind Dev Temple is amongst the seven temples of Thakur of Vrindavan too, like Banke Bihari temple. The temple is dedicated to Krishna in the form of Govind Dev Ji; hence, the name too.
8. Shrinathji Temple, Nathdwara, Udaipur
Lying on the banks of Banas river, the Shrinathji Temple in Udaipur in dedicated to Lord Krishna. The town where the temple lies is known as the Apollo of Mewar and the Nathdwara is a Vaishnavite shrine.
9. Rajagopalaswamy Temple, Tamil Nadu
Also known as Dakshina Dwarka, the Rajagopalaswamy temple in Mannargudi is an important shrine in South India. The temple surrounding is enormous with an area of 23 acres in the town of Mannargudi of Tamil Nadu.
10. Venugopala Swamy Temple, Karnataka
Built in Hoysala style, Venugopala Swamy temple is located near Krishna Raja Sagara backwater. The temple was once submerged in the backwater of Krishna Raja Sagara. However, it has been shifted to a new location now.