We’ve written many articles on benefits of different types of Rudraksha and the story behind rudraksha. One of the things that people are still curious about is wearing rudraksha for the first time. Thus, here we will discuss about it.
First, it is very important for the Rudraksha to be worn on an auspicious day. Mostly, people consider Mondays of Shuklapaksha to be auspicious. But people like to think to be even more auspicious. Thus, Hindu pundits believe that since rudraksha is connected to Lord Shiva, the benefits of wearing rudraksha maximize when it is worn on the auspicious days related with Lord Shiva, such as Shivaratri
Second, the rudraksha should first be cleaned well before wearing. To do that, rudraksha can be washed with water or dipped in fresh non-boiled cow’s milk. After that, clean the rudraksha with a sandal paste and place it on a clean plate in front of the image of Shiva.
Third, it’s time for setting the right prayers. Usually, since it is a start of something new, Lord Ganesha is worshipped first, and then Lord Shiva is worshipped. Chanting “Om Namashivaya” 108 times has its own value. Since Rudraksha has multiple faces, there is a particular mantra for each type of rudraksha.
Beej Mantra for different mukhis of Rudrakshas
- Gauri Shankar Rudraksha: Aum Gauri Shankaraya Namah
- Ganesha Rudraksha: Aum Gan Ganapataye Namah;
- 1 Mukhi Rudraksha: Aum Hreem Namah;
- 2 Mukhi Rudraksha: Aum Namah;
- 3 Mukhi Rudraksha: Aum Kleem Namah;
- 4 Mukhi Rudraksha: Aum Hreem Namah;
- 5 Mukhi Rudraksha: Aum Hreem Namah;
- 6 Mukhi Rudraksha: Aum Hreem Hum Namah;
- 7 Mukhi Rudraksha: Aum Hum Namah
- 8 Mukhi Rudraksha: Aum Hum Namah
- 9 Mukhi Rudraksha: Aum Hreem Hum Namah
- 10 Mukhi Rudraksha: Aum Hreem Namah Namah
- 11 Mukhi Rudraksha: Aum Hreem Hum Namah
- 12 Mukhi Rudraksha: Aum Kraun Ksaum Raum Namah
- 13 Mukhi Rudraksha: Aum Hreem Namah
- 14 Mukhi Rudraksha: Aum Namah
- 15 Mukhi Rudraksha: Aum Hreem Namah
- 16 Mukhi Rudraksha: Aum Hreem Hum Namah
- 17 Mukhi Rudraksha: Aum Hreem Hum Hum Namah
- 18 Mukhi Rudraksha: Aum Hreem Shreem Vasudhaye Swaha
- 19 Mukhi Rudraksha: Aum Vam Vishnave Sheershayane Swaha
- 20 Mukhi Rudraksha: Rudrarupaye Kalpante Namastubhyam Trimurtaye
- 21 Mukhi Rudraksha: Aum Yakshaya Kuberaya Vaishravanaya, Dhan Dhanyadhipataye, Dhan Dhanya Srimdhim mein Dapya Dapya Swaha
And based on the number of faces, you can chant the right mantra 27 times for each face of rukdraksha. For instance, if your rudraksha has 5 faces, you need to complete five cycles of 27 times, ie. 5 X 27 times, the mantra. Once you do that, light and wave the incense around your rudraksha, do the arati to Lord Shiva and wear the Rudraksha.
Once you wear it, you now are on a spiritual path on some level. Chanting the appropriate type of beej mantra on a daily basis is important. You can do it in the cycles of 3,9,27,108 depending on your convenience.