There is a saying in Rigveda, the first book ever known to mankind which depicts the Hindu philosophy in a Nutshell – Ano bhadrah Krathavo Yanthu Vishwathah”- Let the knowledge come to us from every direction.
- Believe in God ! – Aastik (Theist) – Accepted
- Don’t believe in God ! – You’re accepted as Nastik (Atheist)
- You want to worship idols – please go ahead. You are a Murti Pujak (Idol Worshipper)
- You don’t want to worship idols – no problem. You can focus on Nirguna Brahman.
- You want to criticize something in our religion. Come forward. We are logical. Nyaya, Tarka etc. are core Hindu schools.
- You want to accept beliefs as it is. Most welcome. Please go ahead with it.
- You want to start your journey by reading Bhagavad Gita – Sure!
- You want to start your journey by reading Upanishads – Go ahead
- You want to start your journey by reading Purana – Be my guest.
- You just don’t like reading Puranas or other books. No problem my dear. Go by Bhakti tradition. ( Bhakti- devotion)
- You don’t like the idea of Bhakti! No problem. Do your Karma. Be a karma yogi.
- You want to enjoy life. Very good. No problem at all. This is Charvaka Philosophy.
- You want to abstain from all the enjoyment of life & find God – Jai Ho! Be a Sadhu, an ascetic!
- You don’t like the concept of God. You believe in Nature only – Welcome. (Trees are our friends and Prakriti or nature is worthy of worship).
- You believe in one God or Supreme Energy. Superb! Follow Advaita philosophy.
- You want a Guru. Go ahead. Receive Gyaan.
- You don’t want a Guru. Help yourself ! Meditate, Study!
- You believe in Female energy! Shakti is worshiped.
- You believe that every human being is equal. Yeah! You’re awesome, come on let’s celebrate Hinduism! “Vasudhaiva kutumbakam” (the world is a family)
- You don’t have time to celebrate the festival.
- Don’t worry. One more festival is coming! There are multiple festivals every single day of the year.
- You are a working person. Don’t have time for religion. It’s okay. You will still be a Hindu.
- You like to go to temples. Devotion is loved.
- You don’t like to go to temples – no problem. You are still a Hindu!
- You know that Hinduism is a way of life, with considerable freedom.
- You believe that everything has God in it. So you worship your mother, father, guru, Tree, River, Prani-matra, Earth, Universe!
- And If you don’t believe that everything has GOD in it – No problems. Respect your viewpoint.
ॐ सर्वे भवन्तु सुखिनः
सर्वे सन्तु निरामयाः ।
सर्वे भद्राणि पश्यन्तु
मा कश्चिद्दुःखभाग्भवेत् ।
ॐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ॥
Om Sarve Bhavantu Sukhinah
Sarve Santu Nir-Aamayaah |
Sarve Bhadraanni Pashyantu
Maa Kashcid-Duhkha-Bhaag-Bhavet |
Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||
1: Om, May All become Happy,
2: May All be Free from Illness.
3: May All See what is Auspicious,
4: May no one Suffer.
5: Om Peace, Peace, Peace.
(May you all live happily) You represent this! You’re free to choose, my dear Hindu!
This is exactly the essence of Hindu Religion, all inclusive. That is why it has withstood the test of time in spite of repeated onslaught both from within and outside, and assimilated every good aspect from everything. That is why it is eternal.
Originally written by Francois Gautier