Bananas are loaded with nutrients, vitamins, fiber and all-natural sugars like fructose and sucrose. Besides their power-packed nutrition, it is their incredible health benefits that contribute to their immense preference among people.
On this Article
- 1. Dark-spotted bananas enhance our immune system’s ability to fight against tumor cells
- 2. Dark-spotted bananas help in heart burn since they contain potassium that relieves the heartburn
- 3. Bananas with dark spots contain Potassium that controls the Blood Pressure
- 4. They are a quick fire source of Energy
- 5. Immunity against Anemia is aided by the dark spotted bananas since they contain iron and potassium
- 6. They can be eaten even in stomach ulcers
- 7. They are considered among those foods that should be eaten when you are in depression
- 8. They are considered digestion-friendly and hence help with constipation
- 9. They help in improving the mood swings during PMS
- 10. They also help in lowering body temperature especially if it is hot outside
1. Dark-spotted bananas enhance our immune system’s ability to fight against tumor cells
A Japanese Scientific Research concluded that the darker spots on a banana produce a substance called TNF- Tumor Necrosis Factor– which has the capability to fight cancerous cells. TNF assists in the communication between cells in the immune system and guides their movement towards the infected cells and helps in arresting the expansion of the abnormal cells by causing cell death, or apoptosis. Since bananas are known for antioxidants, the TNF in collaboration with antioxidants boosts the immune system and also increases the white blood cells. The antioxidants also annihilate free radicals that form cancerous cells.
2. Dark-spotted bananas help in heart burn since they contain potassium that relieves the heartburn
Ripe Bananas or the ones which are covered in spots are rich in potassium-an alkalizing mineral with a pH of 14. Therefore, eating just one banana helps in correcting the overall acidity of the stomach and lessens the heartburn symptoms.
3. Bananas with dark spots contain Potassium that controls the Blood Pressure
Re-iterating on #2, bananas with spots besides having ample amounts of Potassium are low in sodium and thus, help to regulate the blood pressure. A study by P.K. Whelton and colleagues that was published in the “Journal of the American Medical Association” showed that increasing the daily consumption of potassium intake helps in lowering the systolic pressure by 3 mmHg and diastolic pressure nearly 2 mmHg.
4. They are a quick fire source of Energy
Dark-spotted bananas contain three natural sugars – sucrose, fructose, and glucose combined with fiber. Research has shown that eating just 2 bananas before a strenuous workout can increase the body’s endurance for an hour or maybe more. Potassium also helps in preventing muscle cramps.
5. Immunity against Anemia is aided by the dark spotted bananas since they contain iron and potassium
Due to the high amounts of iron and potassium that prevail in the dark spotted bananas, hemoglobin increases that strengthens the blood supply which, in turn, helps the body to fight against anemia.
6. They can be eaten even in stomach ulcers
Consuming bananas that have spots means that they are ripe and thus help in addressing intestinal disorders as they reduce acidity of the stomach. They also help in reducing stomach irritation since their smooth, soft, mushy texture coats the stomach lining and guards them against corrosive acids.
7. They are considered among those foods that should be eaten when you are in depression
Serotonin is a brain neurotransmitter that makes people relax, feel happy, and improves mood. A banana which has dark spots contains high levels of tryptophan, which is converted into serotonin by our bodies. As a matter of fact, eating bananas helps in fighting depression.
8. They are considered digestion-friendly and hence help with constipation
Bananas with brown spots are an excellent source of dietary fiber that provides roughage which helps in regulating digestion. They also contain a substance called pectin- a type of fiber that changes the texture of bananas when they ripen and causes them to become softer. Due to this, bananas are extremely digestion-friendly. It is also advised not to consume unripe green bananas since their high starch content will create constipation.
9. They help in improving the mood swings during PMS
The vitamin B6 and potassium which is prevalent in dark spotted bananas helps in preventing water retention and from feeling bloated. Bananas help in regulating the blood sugar level and the potassium in bananas also helps in avoiding muscle cramps, which leads to an overall improved mood.
10. They also help in lowering body temperature especially if it is hot outside
An astringent molecule called tannin is present in ripe bananas that supplies it its dryness. When foods containing astringent are consumed, the tissues of body contract, or shrink, and increase the water absorption by the body. This absorption increases the water content in cells, which, in turn, keeps the body temperature cooler.