Everyone knows that bananas are good for us. But do you know that banana flowers have health benefits too? Banana flowers are the beginning stage of the banana, and are also known as “banana blossoms”.
Banana flowers are common in South-East Asia. They are a purple-ish flower, that has tear shaped and hangs at the end of banana clusters. This might be relatively unknown food in the west world, but it is a very popular ingredient for curry in the South-East Asia. Banana flower tastes more or less like a strong, more delicate banana, and is abundant in fiber, protein, potassium, vitamins A, C, E, and K, and iron.
Following are the health benefits of the Banana Flower
- It helps strengthen and repair uterus. Since it contains Vitamin C, the vitamin can aid tissue repair, especially of the ones after child birth.
- Banana flowers increase the lactation by stimulation of progesterone hormone levels for breast milk.
- For women, eating banana flowers with yogurt can control the menstrual cycle and reduces excessive bleeding.
- It is also good for those with those with white discharge if one intakes banana flower with honey or palm candy.
- Banana flowers are good for those with painful menstruation too.
- It contains potassium and thus can lower blood pressure.
- Banana flowers are rich in iron which helps to replenish hemoglobin levels.
- Pathogenic bacteria growth is reduced by intaking banana flowers, which helps to heal wounds and prevent infections
- It also contains some antioxidant properties that are known to fight cancer and heart diseases.
On physical level
- It can relieve constipation as it is rich with high fiber content.
- Vitamin C in banana flowers is also known to reduce ulcer pain and prevent ulcers too.
- It is a great food for those with diabetes, as it contains antihyperglycemic properties.
- The banana flower juice can help reduce cholesterol level in blood if taken every morning (at least thrice of four times a week).
- It is used as a home remedy for stomach ulcers.
- It helps to relieve painful urination and scanty
- The intaking banana flower is a great natural laxative.
- The flower is great pain relief for those people suffering from pain and burning sensation in hands and soles of the feet.
- If you have bad breath and sweat odor, regular consumption of banana flower can help you remove it.
- Vaazhai poo, another name for Banana Flowers, can be used to arrest stomach bloating and bilious vomiting.
- If males are infertile, they can overcome it with regular consumption of banana flower.
- Other benefits like a cure for burning sensation in the anal area, clearing of kidney stones can be obtained by consuming vaazhai poo, three to four times a week.
- People with obesity can take the banana flower soup. To prepare it, you can use a finely cut banana flower, ginger, coriander leaves, and boil it together. You can add a pinch of salt to improve taste.